|Organization:||The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)|
|Location:||District of Columbia|
|Primary Category:||Internship/ Fellowship|
|Type of Position:||Internship/Fellowship|
Description & Details
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado and on the Wye River of Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE), a policy program of the Aspen Institute, is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty. You can read more about ANDE here.
ANDE is seeking a Technology Systems Intern who has demonstrated experience with constituent relationship management (CRM) databases, websites, and mass email platforms, and who isn’t afraid to take on a mix of both routine and creative tasks. We are currently in the final phases of a technology overhaul that includes significant upgrades to our Salesforce database, the deployment of new survey, mass email, and event registration tools, and a Knowledge Management analysis to prepare for the final steps of a document management migration from Exchange to Dropbox. This is a great opportunity to observe a major technology project in action and learn what it takes to connect the many interlinked data points that nonprofit organizations need to track.
You may be a recent college graduate or career changer who thinks a lot about global development and how to change the world. Rather than pushing to the front lines of organizations that are changing the world, you gravitate to the behind-the-scenes systems that make nonprofits go. In previous positions, you may have found yourself in the role of “accidental admin,” taking on responsibility for your organization’s database, email system, or website; now you’re looking for a chance to build on these skills and expand your knowledge of some of the most common nonprofit technology systems like relational databases, website content management systems, and broadcast email tools.
Projects for the summer will include:
- Reconciling conflicting records from multiple data systems to provide more consistent and reliable information about ANDE contacts
- Searching for and correcting duplicates and data entry errors in ANDE’s Salesforce database
Entry-level database administration
- Build and customize basic reports in Salesforce
- Make minor changes to Salesforce Lightning page layouts
- Provide Tier 1 (initial request) support to a team of 45+ tech users of varying skill levels located around the globe.
- Serve as a stand-in for Information Systems Manager during travel periods.
Depending on interest and skill, additional projects could include
- Assist in the development of a knowledge management framework to help ANDE staff around the globe access key information and documents quickly
- Develop documentation and training resources on updated technology tools
- Improve the database by iteratively proposing and implementing additional page layout customizations, workflow automations, or enhanced reports and dashboards
- Build and deploy HTML email templates
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with constituent relationship management (CRM), membership management, or donation management databases. Salesforce experience highly preferred.
- Experience with website content management systems (CMS)
- Experience with mass email platforms such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, or iContact
- Basic HTML
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Ability to learn new skills quickly
- Ability to be patient and helpful while supporting system users at all levels of tech experience
Details about the role
- Timing is late May to late August, with an approximate total of three months
- 30 hours a week, depending on availability
- This is a paid position. The hourly rate is minimum wage
ANDE’s Technology Systems Intern will receive:
- Experience working for a global network of organizations working in the entrepreneurial and impact investment space in emerging markets
- Coaching and mentoring with a professional Salesforce Administrator
- The opportunity to learn about technology project management, project execution, and vendor relations
- The opportunity to observe and participate in a Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP) implementation and Lightning rollout
- The chance to work on a team that values diversity of thought and supports professional development
How to Apply / Contact
To access the application, please navigate to the online application portal. Applicants should submit their cover letter and resume via the application portal.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.