|Primary Category:||Development / External Relations|
|Type of Position:||Full-Time|
Description & Details
Are you seeking a career with impact?
Join the team that is transforming businesses in Central America.
We are a platform that designs, proposes and activates routes of innovation to achieve sustainable, inclusive and profound change. We seek systemic impact, building from the details up.
At Alterna, we believe in a world in which the ability to transform reality can arise from any context; therefore, we activate transformative businesses from the ground up. Since 2011, we have worked with more than 1,800 entrepreneurs to help strengthen and scale the region’s most disruptive and high-impact businesses.
IMPACT TO DATE
- 2.5 million people directly impacted
- 295% growth in sales in the first year after Cultivation
- $69 million in sales generated by Cultivated businesses
- +1,800 entrepreneurs served in 6 countries in Central America
WHAT IS THE FELLOWSHIP?
The fast track to the front line of social innovation.
The Fellowship Program provides a competitive advantage in your professional trajectory and a comprehensive, real-world foundation in social impact through a hands-on experience with a pioneer organization. Through a complete professional and personal development experience, Fellows acquire the critical skills, contextual insights and global network access to advance their careers and catalyze impact.
Specifically, the Fellowship provides the unique opportunity to:
- Gain a comprehensive and deep understanding of the social impact sector and its key players, trends, strategies and best practices
- Connect with a global and wide-reaching network of impact leaders, presenting invaluable opportunities for connections and career development
- Directly contribute to Alterna’s high growth trajectory as it leads the sector of social innovation and entrepreneurship in Central America and beyond
- Generate a lasting and sustainable impact on the region by leading high-impact projects with national and international partners
- Join the talented, multicultural, fun-loving Alterna tribe that is solving the region’s most important challenges
- Take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience the history, culture and reality of Guatemala, the heart of the Mayan civilization and the most diverse country in Central America, with extraordinary access to captivating landscapes, adventures and cultural experiences
WHERE YOU COME IN
You will fully integrate into and directly support the Strategic Partnerships team by identifying, developing, and leading strategic initiatives that enable Alterna to address sector gaps and opportunities, social and environmental needs, and Alterna’s positioning and growth in the region. Specifically, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead the design, financing and planning of Cultivation programs, workshops that guide social entrepreneurs to achieve traction, growth and disruptive social-environmental impact. Main activities include:
- Conduct market research to complement and deepen sectoral knowledge
- Manage the final design and high-level strategy of the program
- Identify and lead contact with potential partners for financing, mentoring, and sectoral information, among others, accompanying team members in meetings and negotiations
- Support the development and execution of Alterna’s growth strategy in the medium term. Main activities include:
- Define different market segments for Alterna, identify and analyze potential partners in each segment and support to define projects and proposals of value adapted to each one
- Conduct market research to identify and deepen knowledge of areas, sectors, and intersections for the growth of Alterna in the future
- Analyze and evaluate new market opportunities and develop entry and growth strategies
- Participate in a variety of other sector activities and events, such as:
- Continuously research and develop market intelligence on opportunities, trends, and best practices in social innovation
- Support in the systematization of a bidding process, grants and other types of proposals
- Participate in FLII CA&C (The Latin American Impact Investing Forum for Central America and the Caribbean), a forum hosted by Alterna in November 2019 that brings together over 600 international and regional leaders in impact investing and social entrepreneurship
- Regular sector events and meetings with partners (when relevant) such as ANDE (Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs), Pronacom (Programa Nacional de Competitividad Guatemala), and GIF (Guatemala Innovation Forum)
WHO DO WE LOOK FOR?
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who seek to immerse themselves in problems; those who do not take ‘no’ for an answer and if you like to have fun while working, we will not be disappointed.
Successful candidates have the following experiences and skills:
- Prior professional experience (ideally 1+ years) in related career, such as Public Policy, Consulting, Market Research, Economic Analysis and more
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study, such as Economics, International Relations, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science, and more; Masters a plus
- Spanish professional linguistic competency, with excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong organizational and project management skills, able to manage multiple tasks at once
- Strong interpersonal skills, complemented by humility, empathy, and cultural sensitivity
- A proven balance of autonomy and self-motivation with strong team collaboration skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity, and adapt to challenges with minimal resources
- Knowledge and passion for the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sectors
If you are a purpose-drive professional, looking for a career change, or simply seeking for a meaningful role in a development context, Alterna Fellowship is the program for you.
For more information about Alterna and the Fellowship program, visit our website: http://www.alterna.pro/. Questions? Send an email to a member of our team: email@example.com.
How to Apply / Contact
To apply, visit alterna career portal: https://carreras.alterna.pro/recruit/Portal.na
Before filling out the application online, please prepare in separate documents the following:
1) Resume / CV
2) A document with answers to the short essay questions. Please answer the following questions, in Spanish and in 150 – 300 words.
A) What adjectives would you use to describe yourself? What adjectives would others – a friend, colleague, supervisor, client – use? Why?
B) What specific skills and abilities do you have that make you the best candidate for this position?
C) Why would you choose Alterna over other opportunities in the impact sector?