|Organization:||The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)|
|Location:||District of Columbia|
|Type of Position:||Full-Time|
Description & Details
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. ANDE is a global membership network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty.
Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises over 280 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries. Members of ANDE include both for and nonprofit investment funds, capacity development providers, research and academic institutions, development finance institutions, foundations and corporations from around the world. Based in Washington, D.C. with eight offices in emerging markets, the ANDE team works hard to support members globally, and locally, while building strong ecosystems for entrepreneurial growth. ANDE develops unique initiatives to address systemic challenges and seize opportunities that can only be approached through collective action.
The candidate will self-identify with or even have worked in an environment previously that aligns with ANDE’s Values. At ANDE we:
- are motivated by the urgency of the global challenges we are trying to address
- embrace diverse experiences and perspectives
- value community and collaborative action
- leverage limited resources for maximum impact
- work hard and have fun
You are a creative communications professional who is excited to guide a global organization working on some of the world’s most pressing issues tell its story and advance the cause of entrepreneurs around the world. You have a knack for building structures and systems that help wrangle a complex web of activities into clear, well targeted communications. You can turn wonky, “in the weeds” information into inspirational stories and go deep on why those stories matter to the big picture. You are an emerging leader who can cast a vision, build consensus internally and equip all levels of the organization to execute everything to plan.
The Communications Manager is the day to day expert on how to make the most of ANDE’s communications resources and reports to the Director of Strategic Development. This role also supervises a Regional Communications Coordinator, a newly created position based in and supporting our five English speaking regional chapters (East, West and South Africa, India and East and Southeast Asia) in the execution of effective email, web and social media communications. The Manager will perform a combination of strategic communications, managing our primary global communications channels (global email list and website), and contributing to our advocacy and influencing efforts via research and content creation.
Strategic Communications (50%)
- Strategic oversight of our overall communications efforts related to: design, tone, quality control, organizational positioning etc.
- Planning the structure of our various communications channels (email, website, social media channels, media placements, events) and their intended audiences, optimal delivery schedule and our content strategy for each.
- Work with the ANDE directors to craft an updated communications plan, with the support of outside consultants as appropriate, to support our organizational strategic refresh to include: clear articulation of goals and target audiences, opportunities for growth and impact, and a tactical path forward to execute this strategy
- Proactively seek out media placements via op-eds or story pitches related to ANDE priorities in high value outlets (SSIR, HBR, Economist, WashPost, NY Times etc.) and manage relationships with regionally focused PR firms as needed.
- Lead a phased effort to update our web presence and organizational design (logos, color scheme, look and feel).
- Manage video vendor relationship for media projects as needed.
- Manage, edit and occasionally write original content for ANDE’s Medium blog to highlight key program areas and tell stories of ANDE and our members.
- Create distribution and marketing toolkits for ANDE reports, events, and more
Content Dissemination (20%)
- Help design and implement a strategy to share curated content generated by our members, regional chapters, research team and global events via effectively managed email, web and social media platforms both regionally (via the Regional Comms Coordinator) and globally.
- Execute the global portion of that strategy directly via email communications (monthly newsletter, major announcements, report launches etc.) initially 2-4 sends per week with a goal of minimizing the volume long term, plus website and social media updates.
- Support the organizational objective of influencing policy makers to direct more official development assistance funding to entrepreneurship support by identifying and researching target audiences.
- Identify media placements, op-eds, direct meetings, speaking opportunities to further this agenda and assist in the developing of content for those purposes.
- Take professional headshots for ANDE website
- Define, track, and report on measures of success
- Liase with the Aspen Institute communications department to make use of organizational resources.
- Support the Strategic Development team as needed
- 5-7 years of experience in relevant communications roles
- Master’s degree in International Development field or Communications degree with some International Development related education preferred
- Previous experience achieving media placements for organizational op-eds preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience leading, or contributing to, the development of a communication strategy
- Experience leading and implementing social media strategies
- Basic html/web editing skills
- Experience with software tools including Campaign Monitor, Salesforce, InDesign, Canva all desirable.
- Some supervision experience of entry level staff or interns preferred.
- Experience using analytics to inform strategy
- Experience juggling multiple, competing priorities
- A genuine interest in the work of ANDE
|How to Apply / Contact|
|Application Instructions – please submit a cover letter, salary expectations, and resume through the online portal. Applications without cover letter and salary expectations will not be considered. The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.|